Let’s be honest, Scotch eggs are a bizarre snack to begin with. A Scotch egg is a savory United Kingdom creation made of a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat, coated in breadcrumbs, and deep-fried. They’re probably not most people’s go-to when rummaging in the fridge for something to nosh on, but a sweet twist might make it more appealing.
How about we swap that sausage for cake? Breadcrumbs for graham crackers? The hard-boiled egg for a Cadbury Creme Egg? And let’s forget that pesky fryer and just pop them in the freezer. A Scotch Creme Egg sounds pretty good to me!
Probably better not to think of the calorie content for ’em though.
These Scotch Creme Eggs are as simple and easy to make as you want them to be. If you make homemade cake and frosting, it’ll take a bit longer. I bought my frosting and graham cracker crumbs, but made the cake, so it took me about 45 minutes total. No matter what you choose, they will turn out delicious. These were definitely one of the most fun desserts I’ve ever made. My Grandma and Grandad love Scotch eggs, so I’ll have to see what they think of these guys.
Scotch Creme Eggs
- Chocolate cake, crumbled (~ 5 cups crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons (heaped) vanilla frosting
- 6 Cadbury Creme Eggs
- Graham cracker crumbs for coating (~ 2 cups)
- Thoroughly crumble the chocolate cake in a large bowl, and add the heaping tablespoons of frosting. Be sure to mix until you can’t see the frosting anymore.
- Take a palm size amount of the cake and frosting mixture, and mold it around a Creme Egg. Add more mixture if you need to, until the entire egg is covered. Roll the egg in graham cracker crumbs until coated.
- Repeat with the rest of the Creme Eggs until the mixture is all gone. The amount you’re able to make depends how thick your cake layer is. I probably could have made one or two more, since my last few had a thicker cake coating.
- Freeze the Scotch Creme Eggs for at least 3 hours, depending on the thickness of the cake layer. This will make it easier to handle, cut, and serve them later.
Enjoy your sweet Scotch Creme Eggs and let me know what y’all think!