I love summer because it means tons of lemon, lime, and orange flavored drinks and food galore. I live for key lime pie, and I’m so prissy about it that I even brought my own key lime juice from the Florida Keys to Wisconsin to bake with. I also love lemon desserts, like blueberry and lemon muffins. Oh, and lime and coconut shortbread! With all these different options, it is hard to chose what I want to make next! So, of course I took to Twitter to get some opinions.
The Lemon Butter Cookies were the clear winners, and even though the Key Lime Pie got not love, I’m sure I’ll still get around to making one this summer.
This cookies are delicious though. They combine the butteriness of shortbread with the refreshing tartness of lemon that just screams summer. Just writing this is making my mouth water and now I want to make another batch. Even Rey was trying to get ahold of one. Note to self: don’t make anything that requires sticky glaze and do it where a kitten can reach. There was a lot of cleaning sticky paws and reprimanding that day. As you can see, it didn’t do much good. She lurked around on the chairs just waiting for me to turn my back so she could grab the parchment paper and try to pull all the cookies to the ground. There were a couple times she came close to doing it too. Kittens do not make a good sous-chef.
I made these for a NAMA party at the end of the year and it seemed like people really liked them! Of course since it was an agriculture related class, I had to use the cow cookie cutter I found for a couple of them. Give the recipe a try yourself and let me know what you think!
Lemon Butter Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
For the cookies (about 2 dozen):
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 lemons, for zest and juice
- 4 and 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Zest one lemon into the mix, then beat in eggs, milk and fresh lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients about a cup at a time to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours, then preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch cookie cutter. I didn’t have mine, so the lid of a mason jar worked just fine!
- Place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for about 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon zest and juice from the other lemon until smooth. Dip each cookie top into the glaze, then let the cookies sit until icing has set.