When I was in the grocery store, this cracked black pepper cheddar cheese spoke to me (plus it was on sale).
I love cracked black pepper flavored anything, but this cheese is perfect for tons of recipes. Cracked black pepper cheese on cracked black pepper Triscuits? #Inception. I posted a photo on my snapchat asking for ideas what to make with it like a grilled cheese or cheese fries, which I will totally try with the cheese I had left.
My favorite recipes are always the ones where I see an interesting ingredient like this cheese and then I build the recipe around it. I thought scalloped potatoes would be a good recipe to try, because this cheese seemed like it would make a great cheese sauce. You also really can’t go wrong with cheese and potatoes.
It’s funny how your food preferences change as you grow up, because I always dreaded when mom made scalloped potatoes as a kid. Now I’m trying to figure out how to make them homemade. These were delicious, and I’m glad I decided to give scalloped potatoes a try again. But don’t get any ideas Mom, I won’t be making ham steak or veggie lasagna anytime soon.
Don’t be intimidated by trying to make this restaurant pretty and trying to stack it perfectly. It’s actually super easy to make, and once you get it down, then you can make an easy side dish for tons of favorite dinners. The best part? They are still as delicious reheated, so they’re perfect to throw in your bag to take for lunch to the office or between classes.
Let me know what you think of these cheesy and yummy scalloped potatoes, or what some other fun or different cheeses I could try are in the comments!
Cracked Black Pepper Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 pounds of russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 4 ounces freshly shredded cracked black pepper cheddar cheese, shred some extra to top it off
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Scrub potatoes clean and put into the boiling water, skin still on. Cook for 20 minutes, remove, and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- While they cool, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour constantly until golden brown, then stir in milk until thickened. Remove the sauce from heat and stir in shredded cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Peel potatoes and slice into thin rounds. Place 1/3 of the potato slices, overlapping, in a single layer in greased 13 x 9 inch pan, seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spoon about 1/3 of the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes.
- Repeat for two more layers (I was cooking for one and could only make 2 total layers). Pour all of the remaining cheese sauce over the top layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and dust paprika on top.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley